Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Childlike

Last week was my niece's 5th birthday.  She's the all-girl type. She loves Disney Princesses and loves to dress up like them even more.  When she comes to visit at Nana and Grumpa's house the whole place lights up; she brings with her the innocence and simple joy of childhood, and she helps the rest of us to find joy in simple things once again.  Although I wasn't able to be with her on her birthday, I found myself thinking of her often and silently wishing her a “happy birthday.”
As I reflected on her and her special day, my reflections turned to the Bible, when Jesus taught: “Except ye…become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3).  I spent some time pondering what Christ meant when He instructed us to “become as little children.”  I don’t believe He meant that we need to love Disney Princesses and playing dress-up (although to be honest, I really do love both of those things); I believe Christ meant something much deeper.  I believe that my 5 year old niece can teach me things that I need to know in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven.
So, what can a 5 year old teach me?  What about how to love.  My niece is always ready and eager to love anyone and everyone.  When she sees me, all she wants to do is play with me.  To her, I am the most important person in the world; I’m even cooler than Snow White! We are taught in the Book of Mormon that “if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth” (Moroni 7:46).  And what is charity?  It’s love; the most pure form of love that exists.  Might my niece teach me how to love, how to have true charity for others?
Perhaps my niece could teach me to use the talents God has given me.  I am far away from home and my niece wants me to know just how much she loves me, so she uses the talents that she has to show me her love. She delights in sending me pictures that she colored just for me.   Writing letters is difficult for her, but she is great at coloring pictures.  Those pictures of princesses and fairies are things I will treasure throughout my life.
My niece finds so much joy in life. The smallest things bring her great happiness.  Last year I took her on a hike.  I gave her a magnify glass and a camara.  We looked for little treasures.  She was so excited with each new treasure she found, you might have thought she struck gold!  This life is to be enjoyed!  The Book of Mormon prophet, Lehi, taught: "Men are that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25). Possibly my niece could teach me to find joy!
Think of the children you know in your life.  Perhaps you are a parent, maybe you teach school, or maybe the only children you know are the neighbors across the street.  Each child you know is a precious gift from God to teach us important lessons.  Think of them and learn from them.   You might just be surprised at how much a 5 year old could teach you. 

3 comments:

Faith Allows It To Happen said...

Love it sister... We shall become like children - you first :oP

FootprintsinClay said...

Sister Dalton - We are so grateful that you chose to serve a mission and although many fun changes are happening back home, your service her in Wilmington is helping to change lives forever. Thanks for your many efforts and service. We love you! :)

Anonymous said...

You have always been (and still are) a great example of this principle. Thank you.

Post a Comment